Monday, September 14, 2009

Seriously! I Need Your Help!

I need every one's help with this.

A little background...my youngest who is 3 has the hardest time with going to sleep. I know I did it all wrong and for what I thought were the right reasons, but we let him sleep with us in our bed. We then tried to graduate up and at least lay with him in our bed or on the couch until he fell asleep and then move him to his bed. And finally, several weeks ago we had success. He went to bed all by himself in his own room. He would get up immediately and ask to go to the restroom but would always go right back in there where I would tuck him in and then very promptly fall asleep. It was pure bliss. And now, starting last night, he lays in bed and screams. He won't get up, just cry. He cries for me, his dad, pretty much anyone that he thinks might rescue him. Well last night I caved and at almost 11:00 I went in as took him from his bed and put him in bed with me. Justifying it to myself I reasoned with my 3 year old and told him it's "only this one time". And guess where we are tonight? More cries. I don't know what to do. Do I let him cry it our--he is very stubborn!? Do I lay with him on the couch? Or completely cave in and let him sleep in my bed again? They are only little for so long and one day very soon he will want nothing to do with me, but I also know he needs good rest in his own bed. So could you please help me and give me your opinion. I have a poll on the right. I have a feeling this is going to be our new bedtime routine for a while.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Maybe try a sticker chart. If he goes to bed like a big boy at night, then he can put a sticker on his chart in the morning. And start slow...if he gets three stickers, he gets a treat. Then bump it up to four stickers. Really talk it up to him though. I'll be thinking about you! That's hard!

ka5ie harrison said...

1ST - just encourage, encourage, encourage, telling him what a good boy he is;
2nd - stay with him, singing songs, saying his prayers
3rd - lay down on the floor next to his bed and let him know you are going to be with him for a little bit, then gradually, move a little closer to the door each night; reward, reward, reward. prayers your way...DO NOT LET HIM BACK INTO YOUR BED! love, mom