Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Feels Good to Be Home

We are finally home from our vacations! We had a great time. We spent a week on the lake in Oklahoma and couldn't get enough of it. We spent our days lounging and on the boat tubing. The kids had a blast. We hardly saw Jacob at all. He was on another boat fishing with P's aunt and uncle. One afternoon they caught something like 40 fish. Jake was in heaven. He even helped his uncle prep them to be cooked for dinner. After the success of that fishing excursion, Jacob pretty much stayed on the dock fishing.

We left the lake Friday morning to head back to Tulsa, but not without a little drama first. We left the lake house as it started to rain and we went down a super steep hill followed with another incredibly steep hill to go back up and over. We went down and started back up...when all of the sudden we started spinning out and slid back down the hill. The weight of our boat and the steep incline were not a combination my car was ready to take on. I will admit I started really freaking out. We tried to go back up again and yet again slid back down. As we slid down the boat would try to jack-knife which was making matters worse. I got out of the car with Jacob to run down the street to try and get Preston's mom and Preston let the car go all the way back down. After some brief discussion we decided the only thing we could try was for Preston to go as far back as he could and just floor the car to try to get as much momentum as possible to get up and over. I stayed back and just watched and it worked! Praise God, because the rain was really starting to come down now, and there was no way we were getting out of there if it turned into mud!

We make it into the next town a few moles out when the storm gets really nasty. We are following Preston's mom and she pulls into a convenient store. As we're pulling in lightening strikes an electrical pole and sparks fly causing the other side of the street to go black. We run into the store now soaking wet. As we try to get caught up on the approaching weather, the tornado sirens start to go off!! I couldn't even believe it. We huddled in the back where the bathrooms were and waited for them to go off. Once they did we decided to eat lunch there and wait the storm out. After about an hour it has cleared up enough to start driving home again. We did not actually see any tornadoes but they were said to have been close. Crazy huh?

I couldn't wait to come home Sunday because that meant we were going to get to see Erin's baby. He was born while we were out of town and he was sick and it just killed me not to be there for Erin and Matt. The good news is baby Rylan came home today! He is the cutest thing ever. You can visit her blog to see Rylan yourself here.

And now we're back to our normal lives. I'll admit yesterday, I did nothing. I told myself I could have that day to recover. I think I stayed in bed until 12:00, awake of course, but in bed none the less.

Today, however, I was up at 7:30 and made the kids pancakes for breakfast so that we could go to town and watch a movie. The kids enjoyed it and we ran into some other friends there too so it made it even better.

Now I think we are all caught up. I am definitely ready for life to be a little normal for a while. :)

0 comments: